First let me ask, "Why the hell is the name of this product so long?"
This is one product I have been super excited about before they were launched about two months ago!
La Girl blah blah matte lippies!!
“Introducing our hottest new lip product - Matte Pigment Gloss. These 16 bold shades provide rich, intense color in a flat finish for all day wear. The long wearing formula goes on as a high pigmented liquid and dries to a flat matte finish. Leaving lips colored in gorgeous velvety perfection that last and lasts.”
La Girl Cosmetics
I got me three of these babies in 'Backstage', 'Stunner', and 'Black Current', which were the only ones I was interested in. There is so much to say about this product so I will have to break it up into sections.
The plastic used is extremely light (almost glass like) and I feel like if the product falls it will break. So in all it feels cheap. On the other hand it is very sleek, cute and can easily slip into a small purse (you may not need to and I will tell you why soon!)
These fall into shades of pink, nude, red and purple. Very nice color range so everyone wins!!
I will start by saying, it was definitely worth the hype! I own two other different matte glosses (Isnt that an oxymoron?), which are the Menows and Lime Crime. For me personally I love the LGMFFPG formula because it is not too thin and it applies evenly. In my opinion, the LC is very watery and I am not comfortable with that and the Menows are good but they tend to thicken up after some time.
In all, the consistency is to my liking.
This lipgloss last LONG!!!! Like Great Wall of China long!! I wore 'Backstage' from 10am to 9pm, ate, drank and this thing stayed until I was ready to take it off! That is almost 12 hours! I removed it with coconut oil and even after I still had a stain on my lips.
The only one out of the three, that I think needed some TLC was Black Current, as it applies a bit streaky. (FIX IT!)
With any matte lipgloss, I cant stress enough how you must ex-foliate and moisturize your lips before applying it! YOU MUST and it should be a rule! If you dont, you mostly likely end up with dried, cracked up, unsexy lips! Some say they get a 'sticky' feeling on lips after it has dried. I only experience this after I eat anything thing that has a bit grease (dont judge me).
- For moisture, apply lipbalm to the lips and rub them together with passion. If you think you have on too much, blot some off at the back of your hand or in a clean tissue.
- This product has a friendly flat sided brush so application is a breeze! Apply the matte lip-gloss as you would an actual lipgloss.
- WAIT FOR IT TO DRY! Under no circumstances are you to smack your lips together either because you will ruin it! After the first layer is dry and you want to add more, go right ahead and apply more.
- After the second (or the first) layer is dry, you can line your lips if need be but if not, you are done!
- If you dont want to be matte one day, but you like the colour and want to be glossy, go ahead. It lasts just as long but you will get some fading after 6 hours just because of the gloss. I experimented with 'Black Current' and an La Colors lip gloss in Blazing Violet from 7:30am to 9pm. This was a full day of talking, eating and drinking. After eating at around 3pm did I add some gloss to revive the colour.
I must also add that the applicator is just perfect! Shaped flat, it makes gliding on the lips a breeze.
Oh the controversy on the pricing! I have seen them go retail for as much as $100.00TT a piece!
On La Girl's website, these retail for $5.00US! At Wonderful World it retails for $28.00TT which to me is reasonable since it's just about less than $5.00US when you do the conversion rate.
The shades in this line has many dupes for more expensive brands such as Anastasia Beverly Hills and Dose of Colors and what I have found while doing my research, they work just good or even better than their pricier counterparts.
Should I Purchase?
Umm YES! For Makeup Artist who want mattes for their clients, I would recommend them for their kit. Just make sure to have your disposables or separate lip-brushes for application. If you are a fan of liquid lipsticks/gloss get em!
If you are on a budget and you want a great quality formula matte lipstick/gloss, this is the right stuff for you. It last for hours and you will have no need to touch up during the day or night. Once you ex-foliate and moisturize, you should have no problems with this product.
XOXO Shaina ;)
Black Current with Stunner in the middle for ombre effect.